All things considered...

I suppose it's not a bad day, for a Wednesday. Treatment #8 is now behind me which means I'm a third of the way done. A third of the way closer to some end result. It's gone quickly, most of the time. Today, however, seems a little slow.

There were quite a few dumb hairs in the sink today - lots jumping ship these days, it seems. They have been conversing, sticking in groups of three or four at times. I suppose we don't want the jumpers. God, how I hate the hairball that I clean out of the sink each morning, and I'm not too enamored with the strays that I find on my shoulder or on my shirt during the day. All things considered, I am glad that to the outside world I still appear to have a normal head of hair, and that I don't see any thin spots when I do it in the morning, and that it's hung in there much longer than I originally anticipated.

We went to the Baywood office today, as Desert was overbooked. They scheduled me at 8:45 but we were told that the chemo could not be administered until a doctor got into the office. I wonder why on earth they scheduled me at 8:45 if there was nobody there to approve all things necessary. I remember looking at the clock around 9:20. I'm not sure if that's when they started the premeds, or began working on starting my IV. The infusion room was virtually empty at this office, a stark contrast to the hustle and bustle and full suite at the Desert office. The nurses were very nice, and all things considered, the treatment went smoothly and quickly, once it finally got going. That, in and of itself was a tribulation.

I guess I didn't hydrate correctly this morning, or perhaps my tiny, rolling, tired veins were just not in the mood today. Six sticks and three blown veins later, they finally got the IV started. On the 4th one, or maybe it was the 5th, the nurse asked me if I just wanted to call it a day. "No f-ing way!" I replied. "I do NOT want to come back tomorrow." Six times a charm. All things considered, I'm glad they finally found one with a good blood return so I was able to put another round behind me.

We got the results back from the CA 125 test today. I'm not sure what I was hoping for. I think that number falls into the "dont' tell anyone your pipe dream" category. It went down to 465 from 536 which apparently results to an approximate 13% decrease. My first reaction, however, was disappointment. I wanted more. I wanted low, low numbers. I wanted a miracle. I realize that the CA 125 is not the end-all for tumor markers, and that there are many discrepancies in the results, to include the fact that a friend of mine who was diagnosed with Stage IIIB a few years back never had a CA 125 over 40. Could you imagine if they only used that to rely on for her? I know it's just a number, and all things considered, decreases are good. Perhaps something in there is working. I just want it to work more, better, faster.

So, I can't say that so far it's my favorite of all Wednesdays, as I don't love doubling as a pincushion, but I suppose that with the greatest of days also comes the middle of the road ones. I can't say, however, that it's my least favorite either.

I'm thankful for the weather cooling down and our run through the desert this morning, and for Super Password, and for sweet dogs. I'm thankful for being able to work from home on Wednesday afternoons and still being able to fulfill my billable goal. I'm thankful for the love and companionship of the wonderful man in the other room who sits patiently with me each week as they search for a vein, watches the life-saving toxins drip through the tubes, makes me laugh when he sings about the dumb hairs in the sink and how we don't want them anyhow, writes Wednesday updates for the people who love us, reassures me when the tears come when I am feeling let down about the test results, treats me like a person instead of a patient, makes me smoothies and pumps me with antioxidants and calcium and magnesium to make sure I stay strong, tells me I'm brave even when I don't feel so brave, runs alongside me in the mornings, and holds me close each night before we fall asleep.

All things considered, even on an average Wednesday, things could be much much worse.

Besides, I have mashed potatoes and sauerkraut to look forward to a little later.

5 comments:

    Ok.. so THAT made me cry. I know how it feels and how it smells and I am so in awe of your strength. I am so HAPPY for the support you have in Greg- amazing how that makes such a difference!!

    you know that I KNOW what you are feeling my friend. I truely can feel it, breath it and smell it right along with you..

    I'm thankful for your focus on those "dumb hairs" each week and your comments in regards to them that make me laugh out loud when I'm in my room alone while on a business trip to Charlotte. I'm thankful that you chose to be Greg's wife (more importantly my sister-in-law :))as you make me proud to be a Hoffmann with 2 n's.

    On September 20, 2007 at 9:03 AM Anonymous said...

    the numbers decreased which is good, not as much as you wanted which is bleh.

    but more importantly when you poke your tummy, things are smaller: hugely good.

    I'm believe'ing today. are you?

    On September 20, 2007 at 5:06 PM Anonymous said...

    That was a great post - as are the rest on this blog.
    My favorite part is when you talk about Greg. I can "see" you glowing with every word and it makes me so very happy to know that one of my bestest gals has someone that makes her "glow". Finally!
    And great news on the lower CEA. That is a good thing!!!

    Hey, 13% is 13% less, so doesn't that make it the best 13% ever. I've also been thinking about your hair issue. Is it possible that the dumb hairs are just the ones you would shed anyway, because I shed more in a day than both dogs and both cats, so maybe you are too.

    Oh, and I keep forgetting to tell you that there is a place that reminds of you in Sunriver (about 20 minutes south). It's a little coffee shop called Cafe Vivo.