It was the 26th of July

and I heard the faint sounds of KBAQ in the distance as the alarm went off. He put his arms around me and pulled me close for the treasured morning "snooze" that I can't seem to live without. I lay awake, enjoying the nine minutes of solitude and warmth before we had to get out of bed and run. I heard the dogs starting to stir down below, and Miso, aware that her favorite time of day was approaching, answered our slightest move with small thumps of her tail against the wood floor. I breathed deeply, smiling, as I felt a soft kiss on the back of my neck and heard "I love you, pretty girl" as the sound of KBAQ came on again.

We had a great run that morning. The humidity coupled with the heat was oppressive, and the sweat poured off our bodies, but I felt strong. I remember crossing the second greenbelt and turning onto the trail, releasing Nala's leash so that she could run free, and feeling like I could run forever. (Or at least until we finished our six-mile loop.) I felt like I could conquer anything, it seemed, and we finally turned the corner and came to stop in front of our driveway.

It was the day before my 36th birthday, which seemed a bit foreign to me as I didn't feel anywhere close to 36. We were headed to the Mogollon Rim the next day for a wonderfully relaxing weekend of cool, clean air and mountains. Finally, over the past few years, I had found the space that I was supposed to be in. I now had a fantastic circle of friends, a great job, and the fortune to find, and marry, my One. You know, the One that most never know the feeling of knowing.

My name is Yoshimi.

Ok, it isn't really Yoshimi, but for those of you who know the song, I do have a battle ahead with the pink robots....

Those evil-natured robots
they're programmed to destroy us
she's gotta be strong to fight them
so she's taking lots of vitamins

'Cause she knows that it'd be tragic
if those evil robots win
I know she can beat them

Oh Yoshimi, they don't believe me
but you won't let those robots defeat me
Yoshimi, they don't believe me
but you won't let those robots eat me

The breast cancer that I thought I left behind in 2000 after a mastectomy and four rounds of AC has come back. However, as Greg said, maybe the devil we know is better than the devil we don't. I did this once, I can do it again - particularly since I'm new and improved this time around with all sorts of sources of strength, both internally and surrounding me.

I've just got to lace up my gloves and fight. This part is still not up for discussion.

And so begins this next chapter of our story...

1 comments:

    On August 6, 2007 at 1:28 PM Anonymous said...

    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    now, you have your gloves laced up, do NOT forget your mouthpiece.

    : )