THRIVR

That's what the license plate on our XTerra says.



He ordered custom plates the last time our registration was up and wouldn't tell me what he had gotten on the plates, making me wait until they arrived in the mail. The license plate was inspired the following quote:

To survive is necessary; to thrive is elegant - Maya Angelou

He's always told me that I am his thriver.

We came out of the hospital on Thursday, the second day of the first week of treatment and found the following note under the windshield wiper:

I LOVE your license plate. Thanks for reminding all of us! A fellow survivor . Thriver!

Week one is now under my belt. My belt that seems to be growing in size. Damn that Taxotere and it's side effect of bloating. I feel enormous, even though the scale doesn't show that much of a difference. Gah. The trials and tribulations of life juxtaposed with chemo.

You'd never know, they say. I'm not sure if that will only last as long as my hair does though. That's one thing I'm just not looking forward to... the wonderful world of baldness. It's my hair. It's finally the longest it's been since it fell out the first time. Sure, it's a pain and I have to straighten it (by choice) daily if I want it to look the way I like it to, but it's MINE. Then again, so was my waistline...

Small potatoes though, in the grand scheme of things. So far, everything really has gone smoothly. I haven't had to take a day off from my normal running and hiking routine. Realistically, I know that if I do, it's ok, and it doesn't show a sign of weakness. Stubborn old mule that I am? I think I have something to prove, albeit only to myself most of all. As long as I can run, as long as I can hike, I can breathe, I can feel, I can sweat, I can keep going. Right??

Two days until we leave for Mt. Whitney. Four days until we hike to the top. Two days until round two of the Taxotere/Herceptin. 23 more weeks to go. Life as we now know it.

Pardon this interruption.

0 comments: